Thursday, November 20, 2014

crumbly sandcastle

A few things have happened that have really called into question exactly what I'm doing and where and why and how I'm doing it.

I recently got a letter from the tax office here that said I have to A) fill out a tax form for 2012 and 2013 and B) I'm not allowed to do any sort of freelance work.

I'm fine with point A, even though I had to pay 100 Euros to get a record of all of my invoices from my bank but that's fine, that's something I can do.

Point B is something that also makes no sense because I was always allowed to work in Heidelberg as a freelancer but apparently they take issue with that in Berlin, even though according to the law (§6 Absatz 3) I am technically allowed to freelance.

I went to talk to an advisor offered by the University here and they brought it to my attention that apparently the Ausländerbehörde and the tax office communicate with one another, so this could result in a problem for my visa extension. Which would be really upsetting because, even though I have a residence permit until April, I was planning to write my thesis, work as an assistant to the coordinator until August, and possibly apply for a doctorate thereafter.

I have an appointment at the Ausländerbehörde on the 24th, which was already making me nervous because they want all this financial information that will very easily show that I haven't been getting support from my parents, even though I provided a letter saying that I would. And now this issue comes up and it kind of makes me wonder: why should I fight to stay in a country that doesn't really want me here?

I've always had it in the back of my mind: if it's not going to be possible (read: relatively easy) then I can just rationalize it into being unimportant. Sour grapes, I guess.

It seems that every few weeks there's another thing. I got back to Germany and it was temporary job, temporary visa, temporary living situation, and now it's....slightly longer (yet still temporary) versions of all of those things. It's worked out up until now, but how much longer will it last?

No comments:

Post a Comment