Sunday, April 27, 2014

Testing 1 2 3

I have four exams starting tomorrow. I feel adequately prepared for the first two, completely inadequate for the third and indifferent about the fourth. The point has been reached, however, where I don't know what to do in order to further myself. So I guess I'll take the tests and see what happens. Luckily (or unluckily) the teachers have to hand in grades fairly quickly after the exam period. For the last test, the teacher has something like 5 days to read and grade all 60+ of our test booklets...hmm...

This has been my life for the last week or so

I feel conflicted at times. I wonder how my knowledge will be graded and compared to the standard; to others' knowledge. I'm sure that I know enough about the topics to satisfy myself. But I guess that's not why we play this institutional game. I have to satisfy some requirements in order to get that arbitrary number, in order to get a good GPA, in order to have as many options as possible after graduating. 

My honor guard on the way to the library

I've heard horror stories of how some students fill two booklets or more, meaning over forty pages of information. I'm not certain how this is physically possible but I think it does highlight an issue that I don't appreciate: quantity over quality. The emphasis on rote memorization here leaves much to be desired. One of the admittedly small number of things that I find not so ideal about this university. 
So, I have a test tomorrow, Wednesday, Saturday and then next Wednesday. After that, an oral exam of sorts on Thursday and then I'll be officially done with my third semester! Time has really flown. 


1 comment: